Keywords at top level

A program of mine is losing because of the way franz evaluates
keywords at top level. The relevent code is:

(set-macro-character #\$
    #'(lambda (stream char)
        (declare (ignore char))
        (get (read stream t nil t) 'event)))

(setf (get :one 'event) <some structure>)

;;;And then, at top level, the following error is signalled:

<cl> $:one
Error: #<Event :ONE> -- invalid form for eval.

Ok, maybe I shouldn't have used keywords, but I did. Is there some way
to turn off franz's toplevel keyword evaluator? The implementation is
the one supplied with the NeXT.

Thanks,

--Eliot Handelman
  Music Dept.