inline floating point for ds 3100

I'm not able to get franz common lisp 3.1 beta to produce inline
floating point for the decstation 3100 (specifically for the fft
benchmark), but am able to get 3.1 beta to produce inline floating
point for the sun3.  Is there a newer version of franz common lisp
that will produce inline floating point for the ds 3100? Does the
latest version of franz common lisp for sparcStations produce inline
floating code?  We are considering the purchase of 3100's versus
sparcStations.

Is there any chance that your implementation will ever be able to
return floats without producing garbage?  It seems that it is
possible -- maybe I'm being a bit naive.  My application involves
floating point intensive calculations that MUST be garbage free.
Thus I can't use a good number of the floating point primitives
because they cons when they return a float.  Arrrrgh!!!

-- jonathan bachrach (bachrach@cs.umass.edu)