with-slots

I have heard that the use of "with-slots" is more efficient than
either using implicit or explicit "with-accessors" when dealing with
slot values.  Is this true?  Is there a preference in using one method
over another?

Another some-what related question/problem I am having deals with writing
cl code inside of emacs when "Common Lisp mode" is on.  The problem
comes about when I use "with-slots". No matter how the parentheses
look I always get an unbalanced parentheses error from emacs as soon
as I hit the line feed.  I continue to get this same error until I am
finished defining the method.

Is this a bug in the emacs-franz cl interface?

Chuck Lombardo
Computer Science Department
Naval Postgraduate School