Re: [spr4653] using the cl-emacs connection

Sorry it took so long to get back to you...

>> am using, but I can't figure out how to do something that should be
>> very easy by all appearances.  What I want is to have a function in
>> lisp (not an fi:blah emacs function) that puts a formatted definition
>> into an emacs buffer, lets the user edit it, and then grabs it again
>> for whatever processing is needed (presumably this is initiated by the
>> user when editing is complete).  I would just as soon not write the
>> definition out to a file first, but I guess that would be acceptable.
>>
>> The issue is really "how do I invoke the emacs-lisp interface from the
>> lisp side (other than with (ed <defn>)) rather than from the emacs
>> side".  Anybody out there know the incantation for this?

Unfortunately, the capability is not there--it isn't that hard, but
there are some small pieces of the user interface missing.
COMMON-LISP:ED returns immediately, but you want something that
returns when the user finished editing the function/form.  I believe,
however, the substrate is in place as a basis for implementing the
feature.

I will look this a little more and report back when I have (or don't
have) something.

Kevin Layer, Franz Inc.         1995 University Avenue, Suite 275
layer@Franz.COM (internet)      Berkeley, CA  94704
uunet!franz!layer (uucp)        Phone: (510) 548-3600; FAX: (510) 548-8253