Re: [spr8239] package-lock warning messages

Your problem report has been assigned a tracking id of spr8239.
Please use this id in the subject line of any mail related to
it so that we may better track communication on your inquiry.
Also, please address mail to bugs@franz.com as well as me,
so your questions can be answered if I am unavailable.

>> I'm also a bit annoyed by the persistence with which Allegro protects
>> the built-in CL symbols - I can't even locally override CL fundefs
>> within an FLET/LABELS without having a flood of warnings thrown at me.

This is discussed in the Allegro CL User Guide, page 3-25, volume 1.
In short, you can disable package locking, though it is strongly
discouraged.  You would not believe how many sprs we had because
people did this:

	(defstruct instance ...)

which obviously clashes with make-instance if package locking is not
enabled.

Also, there is a typo in the User Guide: the variable
excl:*enable-package-lock-errors* is really
excl:*enable-package-locked-errors*.

Kevin Layer, Franz Inc.         1995 University Avenue, Suite 275
layer@Franz.COM (internet)      Berkeley, CA  94704  USA
Phone: (510) 548-3600           FAX: (510) 548-8253