[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Emacs c-X c-W doesn't increment the "number of writes to file" fdb halfword
- To: "Leigh L. Klotz" <KLOTZ@MIT-MC>
- Subject: Emacs c-X c-W doesn't increment the "number of writes to file" fdb halfword
- From: Gail Zacharias <GZ%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA>
- Date: Wed, 21 Nov 1984 10:30 EST
- Cc: Bug-EMACS%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA, Bug-OZ%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA, CJL%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA, rh%MIT-EECS@MIT-MC.ARPA
- In-reply-to: Msg of 21 Nov 1984 06:26-EST from Leigh L. Klotz <KLOTZ at MIT-MC>
Date: Wednesday, 21 November 1984 06:26-EST
From: Leigh L. Klotz <KLOTZ at MIT-MC>
There are screws involved in doing it the other way -- something about if
the system crashes.
The screw (aside from the possibility of leaving a partially written file)
is that on tnx, opening a file for write wipes out the old contents of the file
first, and starts writing the new contents second, so if the system crashes
you could lose both.
Is the problem that the reference counts get copied from the old file or
just that they don't get updated? If the latter, emacs could reopen the
file for append after the rename, just to touch it.