PATHNAME-SYMBOL

    I think you've made a better case for eliminating the coercion of
    symbols to strings, rather than making a special case restriction
    against using a symbol as a string to be coerced to a pathname.  You
    have also made a case for making the boolean falsehood value be
    something other than a symbol.  Making this special case restriction
    against symbols as pathnames is treating the symptom and not the
    disease.

Treating the symptom rather than the disease is often the best way to
keep the patient alive.  Let's fix what we can and think about more
extensive redesigns later.

-- Scott