Issue: FUNCTION-TYPE

I think that if we agree to settle on the coercing version of this
proposal now and to discuss the more radical version later, we almost
guarantee that the radical version will not be seriously considered in
our lifetimes.  We will have established a new status quo that is
tolerable, more or less, and it will be very hard to move away from that
to something better (if we decide it is indeed better).

I think that it would be best to present both plans to X3J13 and to
discuss the merits of each at the meeting, and then if the coercing
version is the best we can do, so be it; we shouldn't kid ourselves that
a more radical cleanup of this issue will be considered later.

-- Scott