[Dan Carnese <Carnese@SPAR-20.ARPA>: proposal]

I'll stay out of the argument about whether it is a good idea to scatter
the exports (implicit or explicit) all through the file, rather than
requiring all the exports to occur at the start of each file.  This is
tied up with some big questions about the compiler, and it can't really
be settled in isolation.

Just for the record, though, I would strongly oppose any proposal to use
DEF...* for naming the def-exporting forms.  The last thing we need in
this language is to start sticking stars and other meaningless
decorations on the end of symbols whenever we want to say "different in
some way that I know and you'll have to guess".  There's already some of
this kind of thing in the language, held over from other Lisps, but we
shouldn't extend the practice.

-- Scott