Re: Issue: PUSH-EVALUATION-ORDER

    Date: Fri, 16 Oct 87 01:07:11 -0700
    From: peck@Sun.COM

I favor PUSH-EVALUATION-ORDER:ITEM-FIRST.  I've always believed that
on page 99 of CLtL, "subforms of generalized-variable references" is
a typographical error for "subforms of macros that manipulate generalized
variable references."  I only wish this typo had been caught before
the book was published.   Note the paragraph a little further down the
page "As an example of these semantic rules, in the generalized-variable
reference (setf reference value), the value form must be evaluated after
all the subforms of the reference because the value form appears to the
right of them."  In this single sentence, the term "generalized-variable
reference" is used both to mean a setf-able place and a form that invokes
setf.  Confusing, isn't it?  However, I don't see how this paragraph
can be interpreted any other way than that these rules govern the order
of evaluation of all the subforms of one of these macros, not just the
subforms inside "place".