Issue: FUNCTION-TYPE-REST-LIST-ELEMENT, FUNCTION-DECLARATION issues

I'm tempted to try to address several issues with FUNCTION declarations at once.

1) I realize now that I do not understand the import of *any* of the argument
type specifiers, and specificly the language about "at least of the types
specified" that appears in CLtL p 47. However, I don't know what

(declare (function my-cons (float string) list) )

means. It says that my-cons is a function that can "accept a floating-point
number and a string (among other things), and its result is an object of type
list...."

The problem is that the argument type declaration here is of absolutely no use.
That the declared function can accept a float and a string among other things
has no content. It doesn't say that it is illegal to pass a non-float as the
first argument. It says that if you pass a float, its ok, and if you pass a
non-float, it might be OK too. Isn't that the same as saying (function my-cons
(t t) list)?

It would be more valuable as far as I can see to say that a (function (float
string) list) is one to which *only* a float and a string can be passed. Perhaps
someone familiar with an implementation that pays attention to these
declarations can explain what they are used to denote?

2) On the specific issue at hand: I'm inclined to be more sympathetic to
allowing &REST <element-type>; function type specifiers are, after all, already
a specialized little language -- the &KEY arguments have a separate syntax which
only vaguely resembles the original lambda list syntax, for example.

3) Should the function type specifier also allow &ALLOW-OTHER-KEYS?

Here is some (old) mail from the Common Lisp mailing list which touches on some
related issues:
!