Pending issues

Be prepared to discuss these issues at the cleanup subcommittee meeting Tuesday.
Since our time is limited, you should come prepared. I expect discussion to be
limited at the subcommittee meeting on Tuesday, but that we'll have some
opportunity to find out at least who has opinions on any of these issues.

 - ADJUST-ARRAY-FILL-POINTER
   (Interaction of Adjust-ARRAY and fill pointers.)
  Need volunteer to write up.

 - CONSTANT-SIDE-EFFECTS (not yet submitted)
   (It is an error to do destructive operations on constants in code,
    defconstant.)
   Discussed 12/86 - 1/87
   Will take on if no compiler proposal

 - DATA-TYPES-HIERARCHY-UNDERSPECIFIED (not yet submitted)
   (Should STREAM, PACKAGE, PATHNAME,  READTABLE, RANDOM-STATE be
   required to be disjoint from other types?)
   From CLOS committee, not yet submitted

 - DECLARATION-SCOPE (Version 2, 2-Feb-88)
   (What is the scope of SPECIAL declarations?
   INLINE declarations? where can declarations be placed?)
   *FOR DISCUSSION MARCH 1988*

 - DECLARE-TYPE-EXACT (from Kempf as EXACT-CLASS)
   (Want to be able to declare (EQ (TYPE-OF X) 'Y), i.e.,
   not a subclass.)
   Useful after CLOS

 - DEFMACRO-BODY-LEXICAL-ENVIRONMENT (not yet submitted)
   What is the lexical environment of DEFTYPE, DEFINE-SETF bodies?
   Mail 11-12 Oct 87 on common-lisp
   Interacts with compiler proposal?

 - DEFSTRUCT-SLOTS-CONSTRAINTS (not yet submitted/issues file)
   (p 307) "Allow a call to DEFSTRUCT to have no slot-descriptions.
   Specify that it is an error for two slots in a single DEFSTRUCT to
   have the same name.  If structure A includes structure B, then no
   additional slot of A may have the same name as any slot of B."
   Need volunteer to sort out DEFSTRUCT issues post-CLOS.

 - DEFSTRUCT-DEFAULT-VALUE-EVALUATION (not yet submitted/issues file)
   (p 305) "The default value in a defstruct slot is not evaluated
   unless it is needed in the creation of a particular structure
   instance.  If it is never needed, there can be no type-mismatch
   error, even if the type of the slot is specified, and no warning
   should be issued."
   Need volunteer to sort out DEFSTRUCT issues post-CLOS.

 - EQUAL-STRUCTURE (not yet submitted)
   (Mail Nov 87 on Common Lisp: EQUAL on DEFSTRUCT structures.)
   What do EQUAL EQUALP and friends do
   on structures?
   (ALarson@HI-MULTICS.Arpa, edsel!jonl@labrea.stanford.edu,
   Okuno@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU, goldman@vaxa.isi.EDU)

 - FILE-LENGTH-PATHNAME (not submitted, from ISSUES.TXT)
   (P 425) "Generalize FILE-LENGTH to accept any filename, not just
   an open file-stream.  Let it take a keyword argument :ELEMENT-TYPE,
   defaulting to STRING-CHAR for non-stream arguments and to the
   element-type of the stream for a stream argument."
   Need volunteer to write up.

 - FILE-WRITE-DATE-IF-NOT-EXISTS (from Weinreb, no formal proposal)
   (What does FILE-WRITE-DATE do if no such file?)
   "there should not be a formal proposal for fixing the file-write-date
   ambiguity until we are at the point where we can make proposals
   that discuss signalling named conditions. "
   Awaiting error proposal.

 - FORMAT-NEGATIVE-PARAMETERS (mail 19 May 87, no formal proposal)
   "format parameters are assumed to be non-negative integers except
    as specifically stated"
   need volunteer.

 - FUNCTION-ARGUMENT-TYPE-SEMANTICS (not yet submitted)
   I'm hoping to get this one out when I get back, but I know its hopeless.
   Maybe I can mail it out *not* in time for a letter ballot but
	in time for discussion.

 - FUNCTION-SPECS (not yet submitted)
   (add "function specs" for defun, trace etc)
   Mail from Moon 6-Jun.
   cf SETF-FUNCTION-VS-MACRO.
   (SMH!franz@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu, JonL, RWK)

 - GC-MESSAGES (version 1)
   (Control over unsolicited GC messages in typescript)
   merge with other controls for unsolicited messages?

 - LAST-N (version 1, 4-DEC-87)
  (Extend LAST to take an optional N)
  Needs rewrite as per Moon

 - LISP-SYMBOL-REDEFINITION  (no formal proposal yet)
   Is it legal to redefine symbols in the LISP package?
   Mail 14-Aug-87
   Merge with SPECIAL-FORM-SHADOW
   Needs volunteer

 - LOAD-TIME-EVAL (Versin 4, 2 Feb 88)
   (evaluation when compiled file is loaded)

 - MACRO-FUNCTION-ENVIRONMENT
   (Add environment argument to MACRO-FUNCTION?)
   re-extracted from ENVIRONMENT-ARGUMENTS
   CLOS committee to submit?

 - PATHNAME-SUBDIRECTORY-LIST (Version 1, 18-Jun-87)
   How to deal with subdirectory structures in pathname functions?
   make :DIRECTORY a list?
   Need volunteer to rewrite.

 - PATHNAME-UNSPECIFIC-COMPONENT (not yet submitted)
   Mail Aug 87 discussion
   How to deal with logical devices, :unspecific components, etc
   in pathname functions
   RWK@YUKON.SCRC.Symbolics.COM may submit proposal.

 - PEEK-CHAR-READ-CHAR-ECHO (Version 1, 3 March 87)
   (interaction between PEEK-CHAR, READ-CHAR and streams made by
   MAKE-ECHO-STREAM)
   "Fixing echo streams is fine, but I don't think that
   it is appropriate for the standard to specify how terminal
   interaction must or even ought to work."

 - PROCLAIM-LEXICAL  (Version 5, 14-Nov-87)
   (add LEXICAL, GLOBAL, CONSTANT proclaimation)
   some serious problems

 - PROMPT-FOR (Version 1)
   (add new function which prompts)
   Tabled until re-submitted.

 - REMF-DESTRUCTION-UNSPECIFIED (Version 2, 30-Oct-87 )
   (Specification of side-effect behavior in CL)
   DEFINED, VAGUE and IN-BETWEEN
   Not ready for release

-  REMF-MULTIPLE (Version 1, 26 Jan 88)
   (What does REMF do if it sees more than one INDICATOR?)
   Withdraw?

 - REQUIRE-PATHNAME-DEFAULTS (Version 1, 15-Oct-87)
   (where does REQUIRE look for files?)
   Doesn't really solve our problems?

 - REST-LIST-ALLOCATION (not yet submitted)
	(APPLY #'LIST X) == (COPY-LIST X)?
   need volunteer

 - SETF-METHOD-FOR-SYMBOL (Version 3, 11-Nov-87)
   (Change recommendation for (get-setf-method symbol)?)

 - SETF-SUB-METHODS (version 1, 12-Feb-88)

 - SHARPSIGN-PLUS-MINUS-NUMBER
   (Is #+68000, #-3600 allowed?)
   Mild disagreement: it is an error?
   Tabled

 - SPECIAL-FORM-SHADOW (no formal proposal)
   (Is it OK to shadow a special form with FLET, LABELS, MACROLET?)
   In discussion, no formal proposal submitted.

 - SHARPSIGN-BACKSLASH-BITS
   (What does C-META-H-X mean?)
   Forwarded to character committee.

 - STANDARD-INPUT-INITIAL-BINDING (Version 1, 19 Jan 88)
   Move text of Test case/Example to Problem description.
   Somewhere between completely undefining and current situation is
  wanted.

 - STREAM-CLASS-ACCESS (No formal proposal)
   (Originally FOLLOW-SYNONYM-STREAM 19-DEC-86)
   Define stream accessors as if synonym-stream two-way-stream etc
   were CLOS classes?
   Need volunteer

 - STRUCTURE-DEFINITION-ACCESS (No formal proposal)
   (access to slot accessors for DEFSTRUCT etc.)
   Need volunteer to write up

 - SUBSEQ-OUT-OF-BOUNDS (from ISSUES file, no formal proposal)
   (p 246) "Specify that it is an error for the SUBSEQ indices or any
   :START or :END argument have a negative index or point past the end
   of the sequence in question.  (With respect to whether signalling is
   required, this error will be treated the same as array
   out-of-bounds.)"
   Need volunteer to write up

 - TAILP-NIL (no formal proposal yet)
   (Operation of TAILP given NIL)
   Needs writeup in current format.

 - TRACE-FUNCTION-ONLY (Version 5, 9-NOV-87)
   (Allow trace for SETF functions, macros, etc.)
   Environment extension?
   ? Ready for release?

 - UNWIND-PROTECT-CLEANUP-NON-LOCAL-EXIT (Version 3, 27-Oct-87)
   (What happens with non-local exits out of UNWIND-PROTECT
   cleanup clauses?)
   Not ready for release

 - VECTOR-PUSH-EXTEND-DEFAULT (no proposal yet)
   CLtL says that vectors are extended by a "reasonable" amount. What's that?