[Dan L. Pierson <pierson@mist.ARPA>: Issue: LET-TOP-LEVEL (version 1)]

My impression of the petering-out discussion was that this was still
a moot issue.  The cl-compiler committee is handling three much more
concrete related issues:

    (1) COMPILE-FILE-HANDLING-OF-TOP-LEVEL-FORMS [ah, the infamous top-level!]
    (2) EVAL-WHEN-NON-TOP-LEVEL [or, simply put semantics of EVAL-WHEN]
    (3) DEFINING-MACROS-NON-TOP-LEVEL [like, for example DEFUN inside a LET]

I believe these issues will adequately address the real concerns brought
up by Dan.

-- JonL --