Re: Issue: PATHNAME-COMPONENT-CASE (Version 1)

My general goal is to try to standardize current practice, and reduce needless
divergence. As far as I can tell, there are lots of both case sensitive and case
insensitive file systems around. We might be lucky if we can

a) standardize how pathnames work when talking to various kinds of operating
systems (e.g., all Unix Common Lisps should use file names the same way) and

b) give users some guidelines on how to write portable code given that there are
inevitable differences.

Certainly a proposal that mandates an "unnatural" interface between Lisp and the
host operating system will be rejected by the operating system vendors.