Re: Issue: PATHNAME-COMPONENT-CASE (Version 1)

    Date: Thu, 21 Jul 88 17:16 EDT
    From: Kent M Pitman <KMP@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>

        ... Whether we go with KMP's proposal or something like my proposal 2,
        I think that we should use all-lower-case to indicate canonical case,
        and all-upper to indicate anti-canonical case. ...

    There are already several places where this arbitrary decision has been
    made in Lisp. The decision has been made consistently, and I think that's
    useful. I would hate to go against the grain:

I hate to agree with Kent here because I really prefer lower case for
everything possible, but he's right.  The decision to make uppercase
the default in Common Lisp was probably a mistake, but it's a mistake
we're stuck with.  Inconsistency is worse.