Re: Issue: PATHNAME-CANONICAL-TYPE (Version 1)

    Date: Fri, 22 Jul 88 13:25 EDT
    From: David A. Moon <Moon@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>

	Date: Fri, 22 Jul 88 11:04:45 MDT
	From: sandra%cdr@cs.utah.edu (Sandra J Loosemore)

	Under the "Current Practice" section, you might add ...

	(defvar *binary-file-type* ...)

Good point. You're not the only one.

    Looks like a good argument for standardization, since I think some
    of these are wrong, and it would probably take half a week to test
    them all.

Just to clarify, I think Moon meant (he can correct me if I'm wrong)
that this is an argument for canonical types, not an argument for
a *binary-file-type* variable, since the same implementation may have
to talk to multiple file systems, and since different extensions may
be used in different file systems, and hence a single extension may
not be appropriate for every file system.