Re: Potential issues?

Well, my inclination is to concentrate on ambiguities over additions to the
language, except where there is some agreement in current practice.

In the area of read case sensitivity, I remember that we thought about this
issue a lot in Xerox Common Lisp, since we had to support Interlisp too, and
Interlisp was case sensitive. While Franz handles case sensitivity with a global
parameter (or is it a global state), we made it a property of the read table;
that is, the readtable could be a case sensitive or case insensitive readtable.
This preserved the property that *READTABLE* captured the variations in the
behavior of READ. It has not been a formal cleanup issue; if you want to write
one up, READ-CASE-SENSITIVITY is a good name for it.

As for READ-INTERNAL-CASE, its less clear to me what the problem is -- you
mention embarrassment, but that seems to depend too much on the perspective of
the viewer. Are you embarrassed by parentheses? By names like FMAKUNBOUND or
CADADR?

I think we withdrew PROCLAIM-LEXICAL because we couldn't figure out how to
procede. If you like, I can send you the back-mail on the issue if you want to
see if you can make some progress.

HASH-TABLE-ENTRY-EXTENT: I was expecting that the discussion on Common Lisp
would wind up as a cleanup proposal. Sounds like a good idea. Will you?

Re Symbol-macro-flet: I'm just not convinced of the utility. At least the
compilers I am familiar with go to some lengths to optimize uses of FLET and
LABELS; having another binding mechanism doesn't seem like a step forward. And
SYMBOL-MACRO-LET is under attack.

Re what the meaning of (MACROLET ((F () 'A)) #'F) might be: I believe this is an
error; I think we might even find enough evidence to convince ourselves that
CLtL says so, and that the editor merely needs make it more carefully worded.