Issue: FORMAT-E-EXPONENT-SIGN (Version 2)

I don't care about PRIN1 and ~E being compatible, particularly, but it's
my vague recollection that some of the way ~E, ~G, and ~F are set up is
to be compatible with some Fortran programs to make translation easy. I
don't recall the details, but I even recall we talked half-seriously about
putting in Cobol picture-mode as well. I think that if this was a goal,
that we should make sure we don't accidentally violate that goal.

As long as the proposed change is not going to cause problems for people
doing translation of Fortran programs, I'm happy with the change.

I don't remember the details of this issue nor do I have a fortran
specification handy but maybe GLS or someone else reading this message
remembers the issue. Based on what other people remember about the
issue, it may be useful to mention that it was considered in the
Discussion.