Re: Issue: PRINT-PRETTY-HOOK (version 1)

    I don't think you answered my question.  Do you want to change the
    effect of -all- calls to WRITE, PRINT, FORMAT ~S, etc.?  Or do you
    want to only change the printing by interactive tools (you mentioned
    the read-eval-print loop, the debugger, and trace)?

Sorry, I want to change the effect of -all- calls.  The only reason
that I harp on the interactive tools is that they are frequently the
hardest to change.  If my own code wants to avoid the this feature I
can easily disable it locally.

    It sounds to me like what you want is a function you can redefine
    (or equivalently a variable you can SETQ to a function) together
    with a specification of in what situations the function will be
    called.

Right, though dynamic binding would be more convenient than setting in
some cases such as local disabling.

             Once that's clear a name can be chosen.  Possibly the
    feature already exists in the language, via a :AROUND method
    on PRINT-OBJECT with no specialized parameters, depending on whether
    what that does is precisely what you wanted.

Does it do what I want (I'm not yet a CLOS theologian)?