issue EXIT-EXTENT

I don't understand the "problem description" section of this proposal
well enough to comment on the remainder.  Specifically....

(1) I don't understand what the phrase "extent of an exit" means, or
what it means for the extent to end.  Could you put in a paragraph or
so at the beginning to explain this further?

(2) Please give examples of each of the three situations.  I know there
are some in the test cases section, but those are all error situations.
Are there any non-error situations?

(3) If CLtL is unambiguous about case 1, please state how it resolves
the problem because it's not obvious to me.

If I'm having so much trouble understanding this, I really hate to think
of how confused naive readers of the standard are going to be.

-Sandra
-------