issue DEFPACKAGE

Comments on comments received.  I'll keep it as brief as I can.

    Date: Thu, 13 Oct 88 14:34:04 MDT
    From: sandra%defun@cs.utah.edu (Sandra J Loosemore)

    A question was raised at the meeting about having macros signalling
    errors during expansion at compile time.  Macro expansion time is the
    obvious time for signalling a syntax error for an unrecognized option
    and I think that should be made clear in the standard.

Sure, but I hope we don't have to address this separately for each and
every macro.

    I presume it's the intention of the proposal that the expansion of
    DEFPACKAGE should be wrapped with an (EVAL-WHEN (EVAL COMPILE LOAD)

I don't know about mandating that specific implementation, especially
when the definition of EVAL-WHEN is in flux, but certainly the idea is
that writing a DEFPACKAGE form at top level is sufficient to inform
the compiler of what you mean.  It's usually good practice to put
DEFPACKAGE forms into separate files, in which case the issue does
not arise, but I don't think we need to forbid putting a DEFPACKAGE
form in the same file as a program.

    Finally, what is the motivation for not having DEFPACKAGE setq *PACKAGE*?

What is the motivation for not having DEFUN call the function?
That's not a joke, my point is that the two operations of defining
a package and switching the current package have little to do with
each other and are rarely done together.

    Date: Mon, 17 Oct 88 17:19:14 -0700
    From: peck@Sun.COM

    I suggest that the :INTERNAL option be renamed :INTERN.

Right, that was a mistake on my part.  :INTERN is right.

     Please verify for me that if there is no :USE clause, whether
    the created package will use....

The default for DEFPACKAGE is the same as for MAKE-PACKAGE, and is
the subject of a separate cleanup issue.

    Clarify that the order of the clauses in the source code has no effect.

Right, good point.