Re: issue DEFPACKAGE

> Date: Wed, 26 Oct 88 23:11 EDT
> From: David A. Moon <Moon@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>
>
>     Finally, what is the motivation for not having DEFPACKAGE setq *PACKAGE*?
>
> What is the motivation for not having DEFUN call the function?
> That's not a joke, my point is that the two operations of defining
> a package and switching the current package have little to do with
> each other and are rarely done together.

My original impression of what this proposal was for was to introduce
a somewhat cleaner mechanism to do what one currently uses the Seven
Extremely Randoms for.  IN-PACKAGE is one of those.  If one follows
the style set forth in CLtL, then defining a package and switching the
current package -are- usually done together.  I don't have any problem
with DEFPACKAGE not setq'ing *PACKAGE*, I just think the proposal
should make it more clear why it doesn't, and emphasize that
DEFPACKAGE really isn't supposed to be used the same way as the Seven
Extremely Randoms.  I was confused and maybe other people are too.

-Sandra
-------