Re: Issue: REQUIRE-PATHNAME-DEFAULTS (Version 3)

    Date: Fri, 28 Oct 88 16:44:18 EDT
    From: Dan L. Pierson <pierson%mist@multimax.ARPA>

    ... I feel that REQUIRE contributes much more to non-portability
    than portability. ... Given these objections I now think that the
    best (least bad?) option is to admit that PROVIDE and REQUIRE
    supply only trivial portable functionality and remove them from
    the language.  This will require no implementations to change
    but will clearly indicate to users that these constructs are not
    useful in portable code.

Excellent analysis.

    Can we decide to do this now and move on to more important topics?

Great idea.