Re: logical pathnames

    Date: 31 Oct 88 14:41 PST
    From: masinter.pa@Xerox.COM

    I think we need a set of coherent "pathname" proposals. They probably need
    to be examined in toto. The combiniation of -CANONICAL-TYPE,
    -COMPONENT-CASE, and a few others bother me because they don't necessarily
    "hang together".

    It would be very useful to have a writeup of "current practice" in this
    area. In the Common Lisp documentation I have (which includes recent
    documententation for Envos Medley, Procyon, Franx EXCL, and Vax Lisp, but
    no others) this information is sketchy. At least the Franx EXCL
    documentation describes how various Unix pathnames are parsed by
    PARSE-NAMESTRING. Since I don't have the symbolics documentation handy its
    a little harder to figure out what Genera Logical Pathnames might do.

Larry, I mailed you the relevant Symbolics book today.

    EB: can you be convinced to put together a proposal?

I assume you can pass it along to Eric if you think he should have it
instead of you, since you're in adjoining towns.