Issue MACRO-FUNCTION-ENVIRONMENT, Version 1

    Date: Sat, 7 Jan 89 12:24 EST
    From: Richard Mlynarik <Mly@AI.AI.MIT.EDU>

	Date: Sat, 7 Jan 89 00:15 EST
	From: David A. Moon <Moon@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>

	[...]

	Since use of the compile-time environment for types should be quite rare,
	this was seen as much less of a burden than modifying existing functions
	to take new optional arguments.

    Not so.  Consider compiler optimisations of (MAKE-ARRAY # :ELEMENT-TYPE #)
    When I last wrote a CL type system I needed a mess of parallel
    COMPILER-SUBTYPEP and COMPILER-UPGRADE-ARRAY-ELEMEN-TYPE (and so forth)
    functions.  Using compilation-environment technology would have been far
    preferable.

    I give MAKE-ARRAY optimisation merely as an example -- I feel `user'
    code has the same sorts of needs.

Hmm, you're probably right.