ballot

This ballot is the official position of Apple Computer.

"Yes if" means we won't vote for the proposal unless a condition is satisfied.
"Yes" with a comment means we'd like to see a change, but will vote for it
anyway.

Yes	ARGUMENTS-UNDERSPECIFIED:SPECIFY
	Version 4, 21-Sep-88, Mailed 4 Dec 88

Yes if	ARRAY-TYPE-ELEMENT-TYPE-SEMANTICS:UNIFY-UPGRADING
	Version 9, 31-Oct-88, Mailed 5 Dec 88
Flush the UPGRADED-xxx functions.

Yes	CLOSED-STREAM-OPERATIONS:ALLOW-INQUIRY
	Version 5,  5-Dec-88, Mailed 5 Dec 88
Would prefer to specify a value for CLOSE on closed streams.  What's the
point of leaving it undefined?

Yes	CONTAGION-ON-NUMERICAL-COMPARISONS:TRANSITIVE
	Version 1, 14-Sep-88, Mailed 6 Oct 88

No	DECLARE-TYPE-FREE:ALLOW
	Version 8, 7-Dec-88, Mailed 9-Dec-88
We'll probably support the LEXICAL option (not on the ballot).

Yes	DECLARATION-SCOPE:NO-HOISTING
No	DECLARATION-SCOPE:LIMITED-HOISTING
	Version 4, 15-Nov-88, Mailed 9-Dec-88

Yes	DECLARE-FUNCTION-AMBIGUITY:DELETE-FTYPE-ABBREVIATION
	Version 4,  5-Dec-88, Mailed  5-Dec-88

A	DECODE-UNIVERSAL-TIME-DAYLIGHT:LIKE-ENCODE
	Version 2, 30-Sep-88, Mailed 6 Oct 88

Yes	DEFPACKAGE:ADDITION
	Version 7, 2-Nov-88, Mailed 5 Dec 88

Yes if	DEFSTRUCT-SLOTS-CONSTRAINTS-NAME:DUPLICATES-ERROR
	Version 4, 31-Oct-88, Mailed 12-Dec-88
The proposal should state that the constraint applies only to the
arguments to the DEFSTRUCT macro.  It does not constrain the STRUCTURE-CLASS
metaclass to require all slots to have STRING/= names.

Yes	DEFSTRUCT-CONSTRUCTOR-KEY-MIXTURE:ALLOW-KEY
	Version 2, 21-Sep-88, Mailed 6 Oct 88
Needs to specify whether the keyword or variable name is the slot name.

Yes	DEFSTRUCT-PRINT-FUNCTION-INHERITANCE:YES
	Version 3, 7 Dec 88, Mailed 12-Dec-88

A	DESCRIBE-INTERACTIVE:EXPLICITLY-VAGUE
A	DESCRIBE-INTERACTIVE:NO
	Version 4, 15-Nov-88	, Mailed 7-Dec-88

No	DOTTED-MACRO-FORMS:ALLOW
	Version 3, 15-Nov-88, Mailed 7-Dec-88

A	EQUAL-STRUCTURE:STATUS-QUO
	Version 5, 1-Oct-88, Mailed 8 Oct 88

No	EXIT-EXTENT:MINIMAL
Yes	EXIT-EXTENT:MEDIUM
	Version 5, 12-Dec-88, Mailed 12-Dec-88

Yes	EXPT-RATIO:P.211
	Version 3, 31-Oct-88, Mailed 7 Dec 88

Yes if	FIXNUM-NON-PORTABLE:TIGHTEN-DEFINITION
Yes	FIXNUM-NON-PORTABLE:TIGHTEN-FIXNUM-TOSS-BIGNUM
	Version 4, 7-Dec-88, Mailed 12-Dec-88
We'll support TIGHTEN-DEFINITION iff TIGHTEN-FIXNUM-TOSS-BIGNUM fails.

A	FORMAT-E-EXPONENT-SIGN:FORCE-SIGN
	Version 2, 2 Oct 88, Mailed 6 Oct 88

Yes	FORMAT-PRETTY-PRINT:YES
	Version 7, 15 Dec 88, Mailed 7 Dec 88

A	FUNCTION-COMPOSITION:NEW-FUNCTIONS
Yes if	FUNCTION-COMPOSITION:COMPLEMENT-AND-ALWAYS
	Version 4, 12 Dec 88, Mailed 12 Dec 88
If ALWAYS is renamed to CONSTANT or CONSTANTLY.

A	FUNCTION-DEFINITION:FUNCTION-SOURCE
	Version 2, 09-Dec-88	, Mailed 9 Dec 88

Yes	FUNCTION-TYPE-ARGUMENT-TYPE-SEMANTICS:RESTRICTIVE
	Version 3, 7-Dec-88, Mailed  12-Dec-88

No	FUNCTION-TYPE-REST-LIST-ELEMENT:USE-ACTUAL-ARGUMENT-TYPE
	Version 5, 14-Nov-88	, Mailed 8-Dec-88

No	HASH-TABLE-PACKAGE-GENERATORS:ADD-WITH-WRAPPER
	Version 7, 8-Dec-88, Mailed 9-Dec-88
Should be functions.

C	HASH-TABLE-STABILITY:KEY-TRANSFORM-RESTRICTIONS
	Version 1, 11-Nov-88	, Mailed 12 Dec 88
As best we can tell, all this proposal says is that it is an error to
destructively modify elements of equal hash tables but ok to do so for eq
hash tables.  We would support a simpler proposal stating this.

Yes	HASH-TABLE-TESTS:ADD-EQUALP
	Version 2, 8-Dec-88, Mailed 8 Dec 88

Yes	IN-PACKAGE-FUNCTIONALITY:SELECT-ONLY
	Version 4, 12-Dec-88, Mailed 12-Dec-88

Yes	LAMBDA-FORM:NEW-MACRO
	Version 4, 22-Nov-88, Mailed 8-Dec-88
New special form would be even better.

Yes	LCM-NO-ARGUMENTS:1
	Version 1, 17 Oct 88, Mailed 8 Dec 88

Yes	GET-MACRO-CHARACTER-READTABLE:NIL-STANDARD
	Version 2, 8 Dec 88, Mailed 8 Dec 88

Yes	LISP-SYMBOL-REDEFINITION:DISALLOW
	Version 5, 22-Nov-88, Mailed 8 Dec 88

No	MAKE-PACKAGE-USE-DEFAULT:IMPLEMENTATION-DEPENDENT
	Version 2, 8 Oct 88, Mailed 12-Dec-88

Yes	MAPPING-DESTRUCTIVE-INTERACTION:EXPLICITLY-VAGUE
	Version 2, 09-Jun-88, Mailed 8 Oct 88

Yes	NTH-VALUE:ADD
	Version 4, 8-Dec-88, Mailed 8 Dec 88
Clarify that NIL should be returned when index is larger than number of values

Yes	PACKAGE-CLUTTER:REDUCE
	Version 6, 12-Dec-88, Mailed 12-Dec-881

Yes if	PACKAGE-DELETION:NEW-FUNCTION
	Version 5, 21 nov 88, Mailed 8 Dec 88
Remove the description of "correctable" error to be signalled and handled.
This sort of detailed error protocol is not specified for any other function
and is not appropriate here.

Yes	PATHNAME-TYPE-UNSPECIFIC:NEW-TOKEN
	Version 1 27-Jun-88, Mailed 7 Oct 88

Yes	PEEK-CHAR-READ-CHAR-ECHO:FIRST-READ-CHAR
	Version 3, 8-Oct-88, Mailed 8 Oct 88

Yes	PRINT-CIRCLE-STRUCTURE:USER-FUNCTIONS-WORK
	Version 3, 20 Sep 88, Mailed 8 Oct 88

No	PROCLAIM-LEXICAL:LG
	Version 9, 8-Dec-88, Mailed 12-Dec-88

Yes	RANGE-OF-COUNT-KEYWORD:NIL-OR-INTEGER
	Version 3, 9-Oct-88, Mailed 14-Oct-88

Yes	RANGE-OF-START-AND-END-PARAMETERS:INTEGER-AND-INTEGER-NIL
	Version 1, 14-Sep-88, Mailed 7 Oct 88
NIL should be allowed for start, allowing it for some arguments (count,
end) and not others (start) is too obscure.

Yes	REQUIRE-PATHNAME-DEFAULTS:ELIMINATE
	Version 6, 9 Dec 88, mailed 09 Dec 88

Yes	REST-LIST-ALLOCATION:NEWLY-ALLOCATED
No	REST-LIST-ALLOCATION:MAY-SHARE
No	REST-LIST-ALLOCATION:MUST-SHARE
	Version 3, 12-Dec-88, mailed 12-Dec-88

Yes	RETURN-VALUES-UNSPECIFIED:SPECIFY
	Version 6,  9 Dec 88 mailed  9-Dec-88

No	ROOM-DEFAULT-ARGUMENT:NEW-VALUE
	Version 1 12-Sep-88 mailed 8 Oct 88

    [The following are mutually exclusive]
No	SETF-FUNCTION-VS-MACRO:SETF-FUNCTIONS
	Version 3, 4-Nov-87, mailed Nov 87
No	SETF-PLACES:ADD-SETF-FUNCTIONS
	Version 1, 11-Nov-88, mailed 9-Dec-88

Yes	SETF-SUB-METHODS:DELAYED-ACCESS-STORES
	Version 5, 12-Feb-88 mailed 8 Oct 88

Yes	STANDARD-INPUT-INITIAL-BINDING:DEFINED-CONTRACTS
	Version 8, 8 Jul 88, Mailed 7 Oct 88

Yes	STEP-ENVIRONMENT:CURRENT
	Version 3, 20-Jun-88, mailed  7 Oct 88

Yes if	STREAM-ACCESS:ADD-TYPES-ACCESSORS
No	STREAM-ACCESS:ADD-TYPES-PREDICATES-ACCESSORS
No	STREAM-ACCESS:ADD-PREDICATES-ACCESSORS
	version 2, 30-Nov-88 mailed  9 Dec 88
    	(expect amendment T => "true")
The following paragraph from the description of OPEN-STREAM-P may
be misleading:
   Streams are "open" until they have been closed with CLOSE, or, the
   dynamic context of the creating/accessing macros of WITH-OUTPUT-TO-STRING,
   WITH-OPEN-FILE, WITH-INPUT-FROM-STRING, WITH-OPEN-STREAM, have been
   exited.
This may be taken to imply that the stream still exists (as a closed stream)
even after the dynamic extent of the WITH-xxx form is exited.  Because these
stream objects have dynamic extent, they cannot be referenced in any way once
the WITH-xxx form exits.  (They can't even be passed to OPEN-STREAM-P.) As a
practical example, the streams could be stack-consed, and future use could
cause crashes.  The reference to exited WITH-xxx forms should be deleted, or
explanatory text should be added.

No	STREAM-INFO:ONE-DIMENSIONAL-FUNCTIONS
	Version 6, 30-Nov-88, mailed 9 dec 88
    	expect amendment:
    		LINE-WIDTH   ==> STREAM-LINE-WIDTH
    		LINE-POSITION ==> STREAM-LINE-POSITION
    		PRINTED-WIDTH ==> STREAM-STRING-WIDTH
Our opposition is based on the following points:
1) The defining property of WRITE-SPACE (that it must write exactly the number
of units given) is too restrictive.  For example it may not be possible to
write whitespace to a stream in units smaller than a #\space character, if the
stream is associated with a (multi-font) ascii file or editor buffer (since
there may be no ascii character available that can be inserted in the
file/buffer to represent the whitespace).  An implementation cannot simply
make the unit size equal to the width of a #\space character, because a
subsequent increase in font-size would again make the unit smaller than a
current #\space character.

2) The "additional properties" of PRINTED-WIDTH (i.e. 8 and 9, stating that
printed-widths are additive) are incompatible with some non-Roman scripts. For
example, in the Arabic language the glyphs used for characters are dependent
on the surrounding characters: in our Arabic implementation of Object Logo,
editing causes surrounding characters to change shape (and width) according to
their new context.  The restrictions on PRINTED-WIDTH would make it difficult
to similarly incorporate the context-sensitive character portrayal features of
the Macintosh into our Common Lisp implementation.

3) In general we feel that the proposal is premature, given the current state
of i/o standards.  We would prefer to wait for a complete solution (i.e. a
real graphics standard and extended characters set standard).  We feel that
the current proposal is too specific and problematical for a proper place in
Common Lisp.  For now, the desired features are probably best obtained via
implementation-specific functions.

Yes	SUBTYPEP-TOO-VAGUE:CLARIFY
	Version 4,  7-Oct-88, mailed 7 Oct 88

Yes	SYMBOL-MACROLET-DECLARE:ALLOW
	Version 2,  9-Dec-88, mailed 9 Dec 88

Yes	SYMBOL-MACROLET-SEMANTICS:SPECIAL-FORM
	Version 5, 30-Nov-88, mailed 9 Dec 88

Yes if	TAGBODY-CONTENTS:FORBID-EXTENSION
	Version 5, 9-Dec-88 mailed 9 Dec 88
We support forbidding extensions, but oppose allowing duplicate and
unreachable tags.  Instead we would prefer clarifying that () is a form
and not a valid tag.

Yes	TAILP-NIL:T
	Version 5, 9-Dec-88, mailed 12-Dec-88

Yes	TEST-NOT-IF-NOT:FLUSH-ALL
Yes	TEST-NOT-IF-NOT:FLUSH-TEST-NOT
	Version 3, 1 Dec 88 mailed 9 dec

Yes	TYPE-OF-UNDERCONSTRAINED:ADD-CONSTRAINTS
	Version 3, 12-Dec-88, mailed 12 Dec 88
    	(some "bugs" in the proposal)

Yes	UNREAD-CHAR-AFTER-PEEK-CHAR:DONT-ALLOW
	Version 2, 2-Dec-88, mailed 12-Dec-88

Yes	VARIABLE-LIST-ASYMMETRY:SYMMETRIZE
	Version 3, 08-Oct-88, mailed 9 Dec 88