Issue: ARRAY-TYPE-ELEMENT-TYPE-SEMANTICS (Version 9)

re: As I think about it, I'm not sure why we rule out the possibility that the
    upgrading of arrays might happen differently for different arrays: for
    example, I might have an algorithm that "upgraded" all simple
    non-adjustable arrays with ARRAY-TOTAL-SIZE less than 2 to ELEMENT-TYPE T,
    but be more strict about larger arrays.

Lucid would certainly oppose that change.  Our compiler optimizations
work on simple-arrays of known element type; and good reasons exist
as to why the simple/non-simple distinction and the element-type
distinctions are important (other "stock hardware" implmentations
have similar open-coding techniques).  I see no benefit to further
discrimination based on rank or array total size.

-- JonL --