issue PROCLAIM-LEXICAL

re: I think these two cases should be analogous.  The only reason that
    they should not be (that I can see) is that PROCLAIM is somehow
    "more magic" than placing the corresponding declaration on every
    binding.  And if it is "more magic", I think it should not be.

Rather than reply to each of the various question you raise, maybe this
last one is the important one.  Yes, a proclamation is more pervasive
than any bounded set of DECLARE's inserted into code.  In particular,
the DECLAREs (of your examples) are in the same lexical scope; but
the PROCLAIM might even be in another separately-compiled file.

-- JonL --