Re: Issue: PATHNAME-COMPONENT-VALUE (version 2)

As I've said before, I don't think that trying to construct or pick
apart pathnames by component can be accomplished portably in any case,
because even if you restrict the representation of what can appear in
the various components, the objects you stuff in may or may not make
sense for a particular file system.  Instead, I would much prefer to
deprecate MAKE-PATHNAME and the PATHNAME-xxx accessors and leave the
question of representation of components unspecified in the standard.

I realize that this position may be seen as being too extreme.  In
that case I'd be willing to shut up and go along with proposal SPECIFY
as long as my position gets noted in the writeup.

-Sandra
-------