Re: Issue: PATHNAME-SYSTEM-TYPE (version 1)

    Date: Thu, 25 May 89 13:45:29 MDT
    From: sandra%defun@cs.utah.edu (Sandra J Loosemore)

    I don't have any big objection to this proposal but I've never had any
    pressing need for anything like this either.

Since you're the one who says that pathname manipulating programs are
best written by getting namestrings and doing string processing on
them, can you tell me how your programs know what syntax to expect
in the namestrings?  That's what this proposal was intended to address,
so if there is some other way to do that that's adequate, perhaps we
don't need this proposal.