Issue: PATHNAME-LOGICAL (version 3)

    Date: Thu, 22 Jun 89 13:45 EDT
    From: David A. Moon <Moon@stony-brook.scrc.symbolics.com>

      Thus to-wildcard could be equal to the
    physical pathname and from-wildcard could be equal to the logical pathname.
    This would translate that one physical pathname back to that one logical
    pathname.

Yes, that possibility finally occurred to me after I sent off my
message.

    The other possibility would be to eliminate all support for back
    translation by eliminating the extra return values from TRANSLATE-PATHNAME
    and TRANSLATE-LOGICAL-PATHNAME (we would add these functions to the list
    that implementations are allowed to extend by adding extra values).
    This would certainly simplify things and might be for the best.
    The more I think about it the more I like this idea, perhaps I'll come
    to the meeting prepared with amendments to these two proposals.

I'm leaning that way, too.  An application that needs to do back
translation can always maintain its own hash table of all the
translations that have been done.

                                                barmar