issue status, 12/12/88

Here is the summary of the status of our pending issues as of today.
Once again I must ask you to note that we are running out of time
before the January meeting.  My effective deadline is the middle of
next week, because that's when I'm going on vacation.

These issues appear to be ready for release.

  ALLOW-LOCAL-INLINE
  COMPILE-ENVIRONMENT-CONSISTENCY
  COMPILER-LET-CONFUSION
  DEFCONSTANT-SPECIAL
  LOAD-TIME-EVAL
  SHARP-COMMA-CONFUSION

The following issues are those that I would like to finish up within the
next week or so, with notes on what remains to be done.

  COMPILER-DIAGNOSTICS
    The NOTICE condition type hasn't happened yet.  I was going to change
    references to the NOTICE condition to the STYLE-WARNING condition,
    which is a subtype of warning (allowing user condition handlers to use
    the MUFFLE-WARNING restart on it to suppress the messages).  Any
    objections?

  COMPILER-VERBOSITY
    Pierson indicated he wanted to submit an alternate proposal on this
    issue, but hasn't done so.  Can/should we go ahead with the current
    proposal?

  COMPILE-FILE-HANDLING-OF-TOP-LEVEL-FORMS
    I've been working on a revised version that is essentially complete
    except for information about the CLOS defining macros.  The CLOS
    people haven't responded to my requests for help.  I don't hear from
    them, should we release the issue anyway, leaving the CLOS macros for
    later?

  DEFINING-MACROS-NON-TOP-LEVEL
  EVAL-WHEN-NON-TOP-LEVEL
    There's been a suggestion that defining macros should only cause
    compile-time side effects at top level, and that (EVAL-WHEN
    (COMPILE)...)  should be a no-op except at top level.  Is this
    agreeable to everybody?

  QUOTE-MAY-COPY
    Do we really need all three options in the latest writeup?

  CONSTANT-COMPILABLE-TYPES
    We need a new draft of this proposal to incorporate the latest
    round of discussion.  Cris???

  CONSTANT-CIRCULAR-COMPILATION
  CONSTANT-COLLAPSING
  CONSTANT-MODIFICATION
    If nobody has complaints about the latest writeups, I'll move these
    into the "ready for release" category.

The following issues are those which I don't plan to work on myself
until after the January meeting:

  CONSTANT-ARRAY-ATTRIBUTES
    Subsumed by CONSTANT-COMPILABLE-TYPES?

  COMPILE-FILE-ENVIRONMENT
    Superseded by issue SYNTACTIC-ENVIRONMENT-ACCESS, unless that issue
    has died.

  DEFCONSTANT-NOT-WIRED
    Still under discussion, no consensus yet

  DEFCONSTANT-VALUE
    Subsumed by issue COMPILE-FILE-HANDLING-OF-TOP-LEVEL-FORMS

  DEFINE-OPTIMIZER
    Waiting for revisions (Pitman)

  FILE-COMPILATION
    same issue as CONSTANT-COMPILABLE-TYPES

  PROCLAIM-ETC-IN-COMPILE-FILE
    Waiting for resolution of related cleanup issues (DEFPACKAGE,
    IN-PACKAGE-FUNCTIONALITY)

  SYNTACTIC-ENVIRONMENT-ACCESS
    Waiting for new writeup (Benson)

  WITH-COMPILATION-UNIT
    Waiting for revisions to existing proposal (Pitman)
-------