  Date: Mon, 20 Jun 88 22:36:10 EDT
  From: franz!feast!smh@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Steven M. Haflich)
  Subject: non-top-level DEFUN

  Perhaps I've been on another planet, but I just realized a serious
  problem with non-top-level function-defining DEF* forms.

  Our interpreter will already handle the following without problem:

  (let ((*foo* 3))
    (defun set-foo (x) (setq *foo* x))
    (defun get-foo (y) (cons *foo* y)))

  So will our COMPILE-FILE.  The problem comes when the above forms are
  entered interpreted and subsequently a (COMPILE 'GET-FOO) is executed.
  Interpreted and compiled closures have entirely different
  representation, and it is impossible for compiled and interpreted
  functions to share a closure.  It would appear that the original CLtL
  rules on closures and compilation are designed to permit this freedom,
  although use of (SETF (SYMBOL-FUNCTION XXX #'(...))) can obviously
  create named interpreted closure functions which subsequently one
  could attempt to compile.  No one has yet complained ...

  I wonder if any other implementations will suffer the same problem?
  Has anyone yet thought about this?  Is the non-top-level-defun change
  less compatible than we thought?  Obviously, the compiler and
  interpreter could be unified, but efficiency might suffer.

I agree that this is a problem.  I see three possible solutions:

(1) Require all implementations to be able to have closures shared by
    interpreted and compiled functions.

(2) State that it is an error to COMPILE a function defined in a non-null
    lexical environment.

(3) Throw out our current proposal for DEFINING-MACROS-NON-TOP-LEVEL and

I believe that solution (2) is a reasonable compromise between the
other two extremes.  In fact, I think this should be a proposal
separate from DEFINING-MACROS-NON-TOP-LEVEL since the issue can come
up even without using a DEFUN inside of a LET (as by SETF'ing the
SYMBOL-FUNCTION to a function defined in a non-null environment).  The
current language in CLtL is not very clear on this issue anyway -- if
you provide a definition to COMPILE it must be a (quoted) lambda
expression, and if you don't it says the symbol's definition must be a
lambda expression.  This is already nonsensical because the
FUNCTION-TYPE proposal accepted at the last meeting states that the
SYMBOL-FUNCTION must contain a FUNCTION, not a lambda expression.
I'll sketch out a proposal on this unless somebody comes up with a
better idea in the next couple of days.

-Sandra
-------