Re: LOAD-TIME-EVAL

    Date: Mon, 12 Sep 88  10:27:17 CDT
    From: David N Gray <Gray@DSG.csc.ti.com>

        Date: Fri, 9 Sep 88 19:25 EDT
        From: Kent M Pitman <KMP@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>

	... How would LOAD-TIME-VALUE strike you?

    ... That sounds fine to me. ...

	The reason that I mention this is that maybe we should take
	the hint from the people who've referred to own variables
	and call the form OWN-VALUE (or OWN-VALUES).

    Algol programmers know what "own" means, but I think the C term "static"
    is more meaningful.

Hmmm. I was originally thinking `static' might get confused with
`static variables', but as you mention below, that's a separate issue
and the uses of the word static are compatible. Perhaps STATIC-VALUE
would probably be more mnemonic to anyone not familiar with either
C or Algol. (Or perhaps just STATIC.)

        I could even imagine some fan of own variables coming up with:

          (DEFMACRO WITH-OWN-VARIABLES (BINDINGS &BODY DECLS-AND-FORMS)
    	    `(LET ,(MAPCAR #'(LAMBDA (BINDING)
     		     	       `(,(CAR BINDING)
				 (OWN-VALUE ,(CADR BINDING))))
	     		   BINDINGS)
               ,@FORMS))

    But that's not really an "own" variable because any alteration by SETQ
    is local to the current invocation of the function.

Right again. [Boy, between this and the tail recursion biz on CL-Cleanup,
I think I'm getting pretty sloppy lately. Oh well. Thanks for catching
this.]