Issue status for October meeting

Here is a list of the issues we have pending currently.  I am going to
send things out to the full committee at the end of the week, so if
you have a quibble with something, complain soon....

Also, our subcommittee meeting is set for Monday the 10th from 2-5 pm.
I expect there will be some discussion of the proposals that are
currently in draft form, and hopefully we can make some progress on
the issues for which there is not a proposal yet.  We also need to
discuss what else we can realistically accomplish by January.

Issues that were distributed for comments at the last meeting:

    COMPILE-FILE-HANDLING-OF-TOP-LEVEL-FORMS
	What are the compile-time side-effects of the various defining
	macros?

    EVAL-WHEN-NON-TOP-LEVEL
	What does EVAL-WHEN mean when it does not appear as a top-level
	form?

    DEFINING-MACROS-NON-TOP-LEVEL
	Can defining macros such as DEFUN appear in non-top-level
	locations?

        This issue provoked the only comments that were received since
	the last meeting:

	* The wording of section 4 was garbled.
	  This has been fixed in the latest version of the proposal.

	* Many implementations do not allow a lexical environment to be
	    shared between compiled and interpreted functions.
	  A new issue, COMPILE-ARGUMENT-PROBLEMS, has been written up
	    to deal with this problem.

New issues that are ready to be voted upon:

    COMPILE-ARGUMENT-PROBLEMS
	What functions can be compiled with COMPILE?

    COMPILE-FILE-PACKAGE
	COMPILE-FILE should rebind *PACKAGE*.

    OPTIMIZE-DEBUG-INFO
	What OPTIMIZE quality controls debuggability of compiled code?

    PROCLAIM-INLINE-WHERE
	INLINE proclamations should be placed before the corresponding
	DEFUN.

Issues in draft form (comments requested):

    COMPILE-ENVIRONMENT-CONSISTENCY
	What things can the compiler safely "wire in" to code being
	compiled?

    PROCLAIM-ETC-IN-COMPILE-FILE
	Add PROCLAIM, REQUIRE to list of N random package functions that
	COMPILE-FILE must eval at compile time.

Issues in progress (no proposals ready yet):

    LOAD-TIME-EVAL
        What does #, mean?  Where can it appear?

    COMPILED-CONSTANTS
        Are quoted constants in compiled code read-only?  Must the compiler
        handle circular constants?  Preserve nonprintable aspects of constant
        data?
-------