issue COMPILE-ARGUMENT-PROBLEMS

This issue has been on my hit list so I'm glad you took care of
writing it up, but I would prefer not to vote for the proposal
you suggest.

The presence of interpreted-only and compiled-only implementations
leads me to believe that it is ludicrous for us to be saying it's
an error if the function is already compiled and to also say that
it's ok to pass a non-compiled function.

I would prefer to simply define that the optional definition argument,
if supplied, will be compiled if it is a LAMBDA expression and that
otherwise the operation is permitted to be a no-op but is allowed to
do [further] compilation if that is feasible in the given implementation.