report from Kauai meeting

Following are my notes on what was decided at the Kauai meeting
relating to cl-compiler issues.  I may have gotten confused about some
of the details, in which case I'd appreciate it if somebody
straightens me out.  Once we all get unconfused, I will fix up the
passed issues to include the amendments and make them available.

These issues were brought up for a vote.

  ALLOW-LOCAL-INLINE (v4)
    Passed.

  COMPILE-ENVIRONMENT-CONSISTENCY (v3)
    Tabled for rewrite.  The CLOS people had some objections that we will
    have to work out with them, but I don't remember exactly what the
    other complaints were.

  DEFCONSTANT-SPECIAL (v3)
    Passed w/amendment -- proposal now reads "Clarify that it is an error to
    rebind...."

  LOAD-TIME-EVAL (v8)
    Passed w/amendments -- minor wording changes (I have them written on
    a slide)

  SHARP-COMMA-CONFUSION (v2)
    Passed.

  COMPILE-FILE-HANDLING-OF-TOP-LEVEL-FORMS (v8)
    Passed w/amendments -- the paragraphs on DEFCLASS, DEFGENERIC and
    DEFMETHOD, and DEFINE-METHOD-COMBINATION were removed.  We need to
    consult with the CLOS people to clarify how these macros are
    specified.

  CONSTANT-MODIFICATION (v2)
    Passed.

Here are some notes on other issues, from off-line discussions with
various people at the meeting.  I will be sending out more details on
most of these in subsequent messages.

  COMPILER-DIAGNOSTICS (v8)
  COMPILER-VERBOSITY (v5)
    Pierson has indicated he is willing to see the NOTICE type proposals
    withdrawn, and COMPILER-DIAGNOSTICS rewritten to use STYLE-WARNING
    instead.

  CONSTANT-COMPILABLE-TYPES (v5)
    The next version of the proposal probably won't require readtables to
    be compilable, but there is still debate about interpreted functions.

  QUOTE-MAY-COPY (v4)
    The writeup for this issue will be totally rewritten as soon as I
    have time to do it.

  EVAL-WHEN-NON-TOP-LEVEL (v4)
    JonL says he agrees with me that it is OK not to make EVAL-WHEN pass
    top-level-ness through.  There is some question as to whether changing
    the nesting behavior of EVAL-WHEN really belongs in a separate issue.

  COMPILER-LET-CONFUSION (v5)
    Kim Barrett has come up with a clever trick which may satisfy Kent's
    requirements but still allow us to remove COMPILER-LET.

  MACRO-ENVIRONMENT-EXTENT (v1)
    There was a suggestion from Gregor to allow &environment arguments
    to have only dynamic extent, but provide a function to "copy" them.

  DEFCONSTANT-NOT-WIRED (v5)
    I think this issue is now dead, since you can get the required effect
    by saying (defconstant foo (load-time-value ...)).

  SYNTACTIC-ENVIRONMENT-ACCESS
    Kim Barrett is trying to revive this issue.
-------