[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Issue DEFCONSTANT-VALUE (V2)
- To: Kent M Pitman <KMP@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>
- Subject: Re: Issue DEFCONSTANT-VALUE (V2)
- From: David N Gray <Gray@DSG.csc.ti.com>
- Date: Fri, 14 Oct 88 16:53:17 CDT
- Cc: CL-Compiler@SAIL.Stanford.edu
- In-reply-to: Msg of Sun, 9 Oct 88 03:23 EDT from Kent M Pitman <KMP@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>
- Sender: GRAY@Kelvin.csc.ti.com
> It is implementation dependent whether or not the symbol value is
> actually set at compile time or whether COMPILE-FILE temporarily
> remembers the value in some other way.
> However, I a couple of major problems with this...
> It implies that you can't use the variable FOO in either
> a macro or an (EVAL-WHEN (COMPILE) ...). That seems unfortunate.
> Not only is it sad, but it is sad for no apparent good reason.
> There's no efficiency reason that I can think of for not pinning
> this down and just saying it will be available at compile time.
I fully intend it to be available at compile time. I just want to
permit implementations to make it available on a temporary basis during
COMPILE-FILE instead of as a permanent side-effect. Setting the
symbol's value cell is just one possible implementation technique.
Evidently some clearer wording is needed.