top-level, eval-when: it's not too late

I haven't read your message carefully yet (I might start reading
Common Lisp mail again around the middle of next week), but a quick
glance through your message makes me think you have forgotten that
Common Lisp has macros.  If there were no macros, which inherently
require compile time processing, and if there was no need for the
ability for users to create their own facilities that use compile
time processing, then compile-file would not be semantically
different from evaluation and I would agree with you.