[CL.BOYER@UTEXAS-20.ARPA: defmacro]

I don't know why cl-iteration is the right group on which to discuss this,
but let that pass.

    Date: Mon 10 Dec 84 10:54:51-EST
    From: STEELE@TL-20A.ARPA

    Date: Sun, 9 Dec 1984  16:38 CST
    From: CL.BOYER@UTEXAS-20.ARPA

    Finally, and totally unrelatedly, is it true that

	 (defmacro foo x ...)

    is not permited in Common Lisp and that
    I need to write

	 (defmacro foo (&whole x) ...)?

    I'm trying to find some common ground with psl and the maclisp
    dialects, but it doesn't look like there is a general
    purpose intersection.  As I read it, a lambda list has
    to be a list, and that excludes a symbolp.

    P.S. Hedrick's 2060 Common Lisp permits (defmacro foo x ...).

Our defmacro treats (defmacro foo x ...) as equivalent to
(defmacro foo (&rest x) ...) rather than (defmacro foo (&whole x) ...).
Which interpretation does Hedrick's use?

I guess this ambiguity makes it quite clear why Common Lisp doesn't allow it.