CLOS

I have a question about CLOS and I wonder if you could take the time
to respond:

Is it within the CLOS specification for implementations to

1.  compile slot access into, e.g., array access, and

2.  discriminate generic function calls into the appropriate methods
    at compile time,

or does CLOS require these to be compiled into calls to generic
functions?  Naturally, I assume that the class(es) of the arguments
are declared at compile time, and that there are no ambiguities (i.e.
via inheritance?) that could not be resolved until run-time.