Compilation implications

[Responding to only one portion of your message]

    Date: Thu, 29 Dec 88 04:52:47 PST
    From: Jon L White <jonl@lucid.com>

		  (A) "Reconstructor" functions for instances

    We at Lucid are getting more and more requests for a coherent "Reconstructor"
    protocol (well, they are usually couched in ill-advised terms about making
    FASLOUT user-extensible, but we've already seen this issue before).  Does
    anyone have any plans to work on this problem?  Didn't someone recently
    say that Symbolics has some possibly-private Reconstructor capability?
    What is the feeling about the Symbolics facility  (I don't know anything
    about it).

It's very simple and effective.  There is a generic function (never mind its
name, the current stupid name was chosen about a dozen years ago) that is
applied to one argument and returns a Lisp form.  The intent is that when
that form is evaluated at some later time, it should return an object that
is equivalent to the argument.  Using EVAL provides full generality.  Of
course the compiler/fasdumper/fasloader is allowed to optimize special-case
forms that it recognizes, rather than always calling EVAL at load time.
This generic function is supported for standard-object and structure-object
(using CLOS terminology).  A good name would be MAKE-RECONSTRUCTION-FORM or
perhaps MAKE-LOAD-FORM (why introduce a new word "reconstruct" when we
already have the word "load" which really means the same thing?).

In addition, there is a level of protocol built on top of this that some
things use.  There is a mixin flavor that provides a method for the
first generic function; it returns a form that calls MAKE-INSTANCE with
(TYPE-OF SELF) as the first argument, and the remaining arguments
obtained by calling another generic function whose methods' results are
usually combined with APPEND.  This provides a convenient way for
multiple classes to contribute to the reconstruction of an object;
each class supplies the initargs that are relevant to that class.
I'd suggest MAKE-LOAD-INITARGS for the name of this generic function
and LOAD-USING-INITARGS-MIXIN for the name of the class.  I haven't put
a great deal of thought into these names.

There is also a method that uses the simple-minded reconstruction
technique of just looking at the slots that have :INITARGs and calling
MAKE-INSTANCE with the reconstructed values of those slots.

An important thing to realize is that the default for a standard-object
is to signal an error; there is no default method on standard-object
for either of these generic functions.  That's important because no
default reconstruction method can be correct for all objects, and we
feel it's better to make the programmer pick a method explicitly than
to supply a default that might just make trouble.

I don't remember why the CLOS committee didn't put anything like this
into the proposed standard.  Maybe we thought it was the Compiler
committee's business, maybe we had some disagreement, or maybe we
just ran out of time.

    One might ask, "How do ``instances'' come to the attention of FASLOUT?"
    They can appear as a quoted constant; hence, Cris Perdue's query: