Re: "window virtual machine"

As I see it, the challenge is to come up with a means of specification
for a user interface that is powerful enough to be used by real
applications, and at the same time flexible enough to adapt to different
user interface systems and user preferences.

I agree that it is nearly impossible to do this at the low level of a
window virtual machine.  That is not to say that there is no higher
level commonality.

In the end, is it not these more abstract levels that the application
programmer wants to deal with anyway?  Even if the the utopia (pardon)
of a single user interface came about, would it not be worthwhile to
have done it that way anyhow?