Window Manager Hints (X11) for pop-up menus

    Date: Fri, 3 Nov 89 13:08:48 -0800
    From: konstan@postgres.berkeley.edu (Joe Konstan)

    We are trying to implement pull-down and pop-up menus using clx under
    X11R3.  The window manager (TWM) is putting title bars on them which
    we would prefer to avoid.  Are there WM-hints we can specify to the window
    managers to request that menus (which are children of the root window) be
    completely left alone?  Also, are these TWM-specific, and is there a set of
    standard window-manager hints which will work under all WMs?

Have you tried specifying :override-redirect t when you create the windows?