CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Command processor functions

Re 0.9 on Franz:

The distinction between a command (which is claimed to be a class in the
docs but (FIND-CLASS 'COMMAND) claims there is no such class), the
string used to represent a command in a command-table, and the symbol
used as the name of the command is very confused in the docs.

ADD-COMMAND-FROM-COMMAND-TABLE, REMOVE-COMMAND-FROM-COMMAND-TABLE,
both take an argument called "COMMAND", but seem to take a string
while FIND-COMMAND-IN-COMMAND-TABLE and FIND-COMMAND-NAME-IN-COMMAND-TABLE
return something other than the string.  This doesn't seem consistent to
me.

So I presume the first args to ADD-COMMAND-... and REMOVE-COMMAND-... might
better be called COMMAND-STRING.

The API says the first arg to FIND-COMMAND-NAME-IN-COMMAND-TABLE is
"COMMAND-NAME" but it seems to take a string (while the first arg to
DEFINE-COMMAND is "NAME" and takes a symbol).  The first arg to
FIND-COMMAND-IN-COMMAND-TABLE in the API is "COMMAND-SYMBOL" but it seems
it should be "COMMAND-NAME".

Also note that DEFINE-FRAME-COMMAND has an option :NAME that takes a string.

So, is the name of the command the string or the symbol??  Whatever, the
documentation needs to be clearer.

I would argue that FIND-COMMAND-NAME-IN-COMMAND-TABLE is misnamed.
Shouldn't it be FIND-COMMAND-IN-COMMAND-TABLE-BY-NAME?  It seems to
return the same sort of structure (a list consisting of a string and a
symbol) as FIND-COMMAND-IN-COMMAND-TABLE.  I will assume that structure
is a command.  All the FIND-foo's in CLTL2 (and the other FIND-foo's in
CLIM) return things of type foo.  So I would have expected
FIND-COMMAND-NAME... to return a command name, not a command.

REMOVE-COMMAND-FROM-COMMAND-TABLE does not seem to be defined in Franz's 0.9.

(Above here is FYI.  Below here, I would appreciate a response.)

On a slightly different note,
How do you turn on the blinker in an application frame?

0,,

Main Index | Thread Index