CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Status of 1.0 and 2.0

    Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1991 18:15 EDT
    From: "John C. Mallery" <jcma@reagan.ai.mit.edu>

    I have several questions:

    1) Can someone tell me what platforms CLIM 1.0 is available on, now and in the
    future?  I know about the Symbolics version.

Well, it also works on CLOE.  I can't answer for Franz, Lucid, or ILA
(who ship it for MCL 2.0), but I have certainly seen it running on all
of those platforms, and have responded to a few messages that appear to
be customer bug reports and questions on all of them.  I don't know if
those guys are shipping betas, pre-releases, or what.

    2) Also, what is the status of 2.0?  When is it expected?

It's actively in progress.  We are in the end-game of the CLIM 2.0
specification, and there are already very advanced working prototypes
of it.  I cannot myself make any claims about the schedule.

    3) What are the general upward compatibility issues from 1.0 to 2.0?

It is certainly my goal to provide as much upward compatibility as
possible from CLIM 1.0 to CLIM 2.0, either by either being directly
compatible or by providing compile-time code and run-time stubs to
effect such compatibility.  I know that ILA feels the same way about
CLIM 0.9 to CLIM 2.0 compatibility, and I don't think that meeting both
goals is contradictory or infeasible.

0,,