CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Screen update and feeling the bits between your toes

   Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1991 15:44-0400
   From: Scott McKay <SWM@sapsucker.scrc.symbolics.com>

       Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1991 11:54 EDT
       From:	Jim Mayer <mayer@wrc.xerox.com>

       Is there a mechanism within CLIM that would allow me to move areas of
       screen real estate around without redrawing?  The kind of think I am
       thinking of is what most terminal emulators do when they insert a new
       line: rather than redraw the bottom half of the screen, they BITBLT
       the bottom half down one line height's worth of bits.

   I have a working implementation of "pixmaps" for CLIM 1.0 for both
   Genera and CLX, but have not yet installed it.  I also don't know
   exactly how to distribute it once it's installed.

   Regardless of that, keep in mind that COPY-AREA (that's what I call it)
   is a pure device-oriented operation.  It does not move output records or
   presentations, it just moves raw bits.  If you want presentations to
   move, you will have to move them yourself.

   I know I have hacks that can benefit from even this very restricted
   operation, but I don't know if it is enough for anyone else?  Comments
   on this, anyone?

How do we get it?  It would help us a lot. Esp. if you can draw things to
a bitplane before displaying anything.

0,,