CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Using sequence type in accepting-values?

    Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1991 13:03 EST
    From: curt@eraserhead.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Curt Eggemeyer)

    I am on a SPARC in Allego using CLIM 1.0.

*** Begin personal policy statement ***
I have been answering too many questions lately that are better answered
by either the software support organization of the pertinant company, or
by other knowledgeable people on this mailing list.  This is partly my
fault: I answer too many questions before other people have a chance.

Therefore, I do not plan to answer questions like this in real time in
the future, because it is taking too much of my time.  I hope that other
people chime in, or that people start contacting their vendors.

I would personally like to see this list be used as a higher level forum
for greater CLIM design issues, or for a place to disseminate knowledge,
or a place where more difficult problems can be addressed.

Curt, please don't take personal offense because I am picking on you.
This was just the first message where I really realized I cannot spend
so much time answering stuff on this mailing list.
*** End personal policy statement ***

    I have two questions on accepting-values.

    Given this:

    (accepting-values (a-stream)
       (accept '(sequence symbol) :stream a-stream :prompt "Possible-Choices"))

    Q1: How do I supply a default list for the sequence presentation type?

    If I rewrite the second line as:

    (accept '(sequence symbol) :stream a-stream :default '(a b c)
	    :prompt "Possible-Choices")

    It presents it as a list, but not as the items within that list
    separated by commas (as it should).  And if I accept the default it
    returns '((a b c)) which is not what I want [it should be '(a b c)].  I
    want to allow the user capability to add or remove elements from a list
    within the accept call. Is there another presentation type I should be
    using (subset is inadequate because your stuck with a static list)?

This works for me.  I do not know why it does not work for you.  I hope
that someone from Franz Inc can help you.

    Q2: In-line edits of accept values within the accepting-values seems to
    work incorrectly.  If I click to edit an accept field it is removed from
    the display (the default is set to whatever was in that field).  That is
    fine for some presentation types.  Other presentation types like
    'sequence should remain on the display and allow the user to do inline
    edits (like the commands in an application pane).  It is one royal pain
    in the butt to the user to force him reinput everything that was in that
    field when maybe they are just adding more items or selectively pruning
    some away.

This has been fixed in more recent versions of CLIM.  I do not know what
the vendor policies and schedules are regarding getting be versions of
CLIM out into the field.

0,,