CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Speeding up CLIM startup time.

    Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1992 11:15 EST
    From: mthome@BBN.COM

	    In all versions of CLIM I've tried with an X11 implementation,
    the first window instantiation takes an extraordinarily log time, much
    of which is spent with the server frozen.  With our locally-hacked
    version of CLIM 0.9, we wouldn't get worried unless the first window
    took longer than 30 seconds to appear... CLIM 1.0 seems to be doing a
    little better, but still takes a long time.  How much of this startup
    time is NOT due to the compiling of CLOS dispatch functions?  Has
    anyone looked into this?  Has anyone found any ways to speed this up?

The CLOS startup overhead varies greatly from one implementation to
another, but that's not where most of the time is going.  Most of the
time is spent getting fonts.  As it turns out, John Irwin at Franz, Inc.
has fixed this for CLIM 1.1, and the startup time should be much better.

Main Index | Thread Index