CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Moving output records for fast translation

    Date: Fri, 1 May 1992 15:32 EDT
    From: "John G. Aspinall" <JGA@stony-brook.scrc.symbolics.com>

	Date: Fri, 1 May 1992 13:39 EDT
	From: Peter Karp <pkarp@ai.sri.com>

	[...] My theory is that it will be faster to get CLIM to redraw the output
	records associated with those picture elements, with a translation
	applied, than it will be to completely redraw those picture elements
	at the application level (particularly if much computation is required
	at the application level).

    Certainly.  This is what (e.g.) dragging-output does.

    Date: Fri, 1 May 1992 15:56 EDT
    From: Peter Karp <pkarp@ai.sri.com>

    The type of translation I had in mind is not interactive --
    the application knows exactly where the output record should
    be moved -- therefore dragging-output is not useful for this task.

You misunderstand.  I never suggested that you use dragging-output.
I was saying that dragging-output has the same requirements as you do.
In both cases, the requirement is to "redraw under translation as fast
as possible".

I should have said:

Certainly.  This is what (e.g.) dragging-output does to achieve the same goal.